Saturday, July 30, 2016

The Aloha Spirit

I pull into Patao Gas & Go in Wailuku, HI to get my safety check on my car. There's some confusion on where to wait so I pull into a parking space in order to get out of the road. A man who was there before me rolls down his window and seems a bit angry that I am cutting him in line. I explain my maneuver and he and another gentleman appear to visibly relax, knowing that I'm not trying to cheat them in some way...

It's a long wait before we are to be serviced, so I park my car and run across the street to buy an iced tea. While I'm there, I think of the two men in their big trucks and wonder if they'd like an iced tea as well. I decide that they do, so I buy three iced teas and return to the inspection center.




I walk up to the window of each car and hand each of the men an iced tea. Big smiles and shakas (the "shaka" is widely used hand gesture in Hawaiian culture) prevail, and we all nod and grunt to each other the way men do when confronted with outward displays of affection for each other.

For some reason the line my car is in is taking three times as long as the other line, and I'm starting to become annoyed at the wait. I'm also a bit worried because my financial situation is more tenuous than even my hippie wandering heart feels comfortable with.

Just when my agitated inner dialogue begins to fester into outward complaining, suddenly a man is standing at my window. It's the older of the gentleman whom I gave an iced tea to.

Handing me $20 is cash, he says to me, "I believe in the Aloha Spirit... You made an old man happy today." He pats me warmly on the shoulder and a deluge of grandfatherly warmth radiates from his huge Aloha Heart.

I'd been having a difficult day, so of course I burst into tears when he drives away, but since that moment the difficulty fluxed back into mild sadness from it's previous position of mind-captivating intensity.

I'm not entirely sure what the "Aloha Spirit" is, but I'm pretty sure It's radiance was shining on me today...

I am grateful. Grateful that there is real kindness and generosity that happens between human beings.
Aloha

Ps - My car did NOT pass the safety inspection
Pps - I ate a pint of Ben & Jerry's Mint Oreo Cookie iced cream when I got home




CLICK HERE to experience a Transformational Healing session with Sarkis Love!
www.SarkisLove.com



No comments:

Post a Comment